For papers under embargo until 11:00 am et (us) on Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 5 PM Paris time
Wednesday, November 14 at 5 PM Paris Time
(Call-in details below)
Two papers publishing in the journal Cell use samples and data collected during the Tara Oceans Expedition to analyze current ocean diversity across the planet, providing a baseline to better understand the future impacts of climate change on the oceans. Lucie Zinger, Chris Bowler, and colleagues report that most planktonic groups follow a gradient of diversity along latitudes, with the lowest level of diversity closest to the poles. Shinichi Sunagawa and colleagues find that microbial diversity and microbial gene expression play different roles in how ocean microbial communities respond to environmental change in different geographies. In a Perspective publishing in the journal One Earth, Joachim Claudet and colleagues examine the barriers that have prevented ocean sustainability policy changes so far and suggest strategies for leveraging the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development to overcome these challenges.
Speakers will give prepared remarks for the first 15 minutes of the press conference, followed by time for questions.
- Robert Kruger Deputy editor, Cell
- Joachim Claudet Marine ecologist, CNRS-CRIOBE
- Romain Troublé Executive director of the Tara Ocean Foundation
- Eric Karsenti Cell biologist, CNRS / EMBL-EBI, Scientific Director of the Tara Oceans mission
- Lucie Zinger Molecular ecologist, PSL – ENS, assistant professor
- Chris Bowler Director of research, CNRS, director of the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Section, Institut de Biologie de l’Ecole Normale Supérieure
- Shinichi Sunagawa Professor in microbiome research, ETH Zûrich
The press conference will be held remotely via Zoom
To join the Zoom meeting by telephone in the US, dial +1 720 707 2699 or +1 646 558 8656. When prompted, please enter meeting ID 363 591 214 followed by #.
To join to Zoom meeting by telephone from outside the US, please visit this link to find a local phone number.
Related materials – Available this November 14 at 5 PM Paris time
Modeling the Ocean ecosystem with Tara GO-SEE
Ten years ago this fall, the Tara Oceans expedition set sail on a 4-year voyage ...Read more
[Tara Oceans] Modeling the planktonic ecosystem on a planetary scale
Ce 12 septembre, à l’Académie des Sciences, une étape...Read more