The Tara Ocean Foundation, the first foundation dedicated to the Ocean to be recognized of public interest, is developing, thanks to the schooner Tara, a unique and innovative ocean science to predict and better anticipate the impact of climate change. Tara uses high-level scientific expertise to raise awareness and educate younger generations, but also to mobilize policy makers and enable developing countries to access this new knowledge. The Tara Ocean Foundation is a Special Observer at the UN and actively participates in the Sustainable Development Goals of the UN 2030 Agenda. We want to make the ocean a shared responsibility.
Our major expeditions
Arctic drift 113 years after Nansen’s 1893 expedition
First global study of the planktonic ecosystem
Study of plastic pollution’s effects on the marine ecosystem
Study of coral reefs and their capacity of adaptation to climate change
OCEAN SCIENCE AT THE SERVICE OF HUMANITY
The ocean is an ongoing ecosystem that we must understand and preserve as a whole. We are developing an open, global, multidisciplinary, innovative science. The discoveries are transforming the way we comprehend the ocean:
• 100,000 new marine species and more than 150 million genes discovered from the marine world
• Featured in the journal Science in 2015 and the subject of more than 70 scientific publications
EDUCATE TO BETTER PRESERVE THE OCEAN
• More than 45,000 children were invited aboard Tara, in France and around the world
• More than 100,000 students followed educational programs developed by the Foundation
• In 2018, in partnership with the Education Nationale, 390 classes are following Tara Ocean Foundation programs in France and abroad.
GENERAL PUBLIC AWARENESS
While the role of forests in the fight against climate change is unanimously recognized today, that of the ocean is still largely unknown to the general public. The Ocean is nevertheless the “Life Support System” of humanity. The Ocean is the heart of our climate system and orchestrates most of the life on Earth. Tara Ocean Foundation’s message is transmitted all over the world, encouraging as many people as possible to turn their sights on the Ocean in response to the urgency of climate change.