From October 9 to 13, 2014
TARA MEDITERRANÉE EXPEDITION VISITS NAPLES
Program for the Italian stopover :
Thursday October 9 to Monday, Oct. 13 in Naples – lectures, a film showing, and tours of the schooner (for the general public and schoolchildren) will be scheduled.
- Thursday, October 9 at 4pm, boat tours for the press and local officials (registration required)
With Daniele Iudicone scientist at the Laboratory of Ecology and Evolution of Plankton, at the Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn, and Martin Hertau, captain of Tara.
Location: Quai San Vincenzo – Naples
- Friday, October 10 at 9:30, scientific conference for the press and local officials – “Tara Oceans and the New Frontiers in Marine Science” (registration required)
Chris Bowler, scientist at the Ecole Normale Superieure CNRS (Paris), and Adriana Zingone, researcher at the Laboratory of Ecology and Evolution of Plankton, Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn.
Location: Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn – Villa Comunale, Naples
- Friday, October 10 and Monday, October 13, in the morning, free tours of the boat for the school children of Naples – limited number of places available (registration required)
Location: Quai San Vincenzo – Naples
- Friday, October 10 at 6 pm, free projection for the general public of the film “Tara Oceans: Journey to the Sources of Life.” 90-minute documentary, subtitled in Italian.
Introduction by Daniele Iudicone and Gabriele Procaccini, scientists at the Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn, and Martin Hertau, captain of Tara.
Summary: From the air, the earth is blue. But what do we really know about the world’s oceans? Who lives there? To answer these questions, a team of scientists embarked aboard the schooner Tara. The journey led them into the world of plankton, an almost unknown realm comprising millions of different organisms. One thing is certain: these oceanic species play an important role in the life of the planet.
Location: French Consulate – 86 Via Francesco Crispi, 80121 Naples
- Saturday, October 11 at 9 am, free educational workshops open to the general public, and a scientific picnic at the Città della Scienza
Location: Città della Scienza, 104, via Coroglio, Naples – Information: tel. +39 081 7352 220/222
- Saturday, October 11 at 11 am, public parade in the Bay of Naples, with the local yacht clubs, along the Lungomare (in partnership with Lega Navale).
- Monday, October 13 at 18h: Free conference for the general public entitled “The Great Oceanic Explorations.”
Christiane Groeben (Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn), Ferdinando Boero (Università del Salento) and Chris Bowler, scientist at the Ecole Normale Superieure CNRS (Paris).
Location: Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn Napoli, Villa Comunale, Naples
Activities for schools (registration required):
- Before the stopover: free educational activities with Valentina Cioffi and Gabriele Procaccini, Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn. Participation in the Incontri AMOilMare Prize (photographs and drawings) of the Accademia di Belle Arti di Napoli.
Location: Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn, Villa Comunale, Naples
- After the stopover, Friday, October 31: A morning dedicated to Tara Expeditions. Screening of the documentary “Tara Oceans, Journey to the Sources of Life,” and of the film made during Tara’s stopover in Naples. Prizes distributed to winners of the contest.
Location: Sale Newton, Città della Scienza, 104, via Coroglio, Naples. tel. +39 081 7352 220/222
PARTNERS FOR TARA’S STOPOVER IN NAPLES
Stazione Zoologica A. Dohrn, Consulate General of France in Naples – Napoli French Institute, Fondazione IDIS – Città della Scienza – Lega Navale Italiana – Sezione di Napoli.
Tara’s stopover in Naples is an event of UNESCO’s Universal Forum of Cultures.
PARTNERS OF THE TARA MEDITERRANEAN EXPEDITION
agnès b., Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, Veolia Foundation, IDEC, Serge Ferrari, UNESCO/COI, MedPAN, Surfrider Foundation Europe, Lorient Agglomeration, Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy, CNRS, AFP, Le Monde, RFI, France 24, MCD.
Observatoire Océanologique de Villefranche-sur-Mer, CNRS, University of Michigan, University of Maine, Ecole Normale Supérieure, NASA, Free University of Berlin, Pierre and Marie Curie University, IFREMER, Observatoire Océanologique de Banuyls University of Bretagne Sud, University of South Toulon, University of Aix-Marseille, University of Corsica, Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn.
UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF JANEZ POTOČNIK, European Commissioner for the Environment.