November 1st to 6th 2014
After a first visit in 2009, the schooner Tara returns to visit Tangier (Morocco), form November 1st to 6th in the context of a 7-month expeditions studying plastic pollution in the Mediterranean.
Tours of the schooner led by crewmembers are scheduled in the port of Tangier City, for the public and school children. A public lecture about pollution in the Mediterranean, and a screening of the Tara Oceans documentary will take place at the Cinémathèque of Tangier.
Join our program of events:
- Tara arrives in the port of Tangier: Saturday, November 1st at 12 noon.
- Public tours of the ship led by the crew, in the port city of Tangier: Saturday, November 1st
Register and get the schedule here.
- Conference: “Pollution in the Mediterranean:The Role Played by Living Organisms” at the Cinémathèque of Tangier (free and open to all)
The Mediterranean Sea is subjected to increasing pressure caused by human activities. Demography, tourism, agriculture, industry, maritime transport, exploitation of fossil fuels are all factors that place a heavy burden on this nearly closed sea, where the water takes a century to be renewed. Among the relatively new forms of pollution, plastic at sea has become a priority concern of the EU Directive on the Marine Environment (MSFD), with a goal of achieving “good health of the marine environment” by 2020. The Tara Mediterranean expedition is responding to this goal by studying plastic contamination at sea, and assessing how living organisms can help man to naturally clean up the Mediterranean.
By Jean-François Ghiglione, researcher at the CNRS, Laboratory of Microbial Oceanography, Banyuls sur Mer (France).
- Screening of the documentary: “Tara Oceans, A Secret World,” at the Cinémathèque of Tangier: Wednesday, November 5th at 20:30 (free and open to all)
- Visits for the press: please contact us.
PARTNERS DURING THIS STOPOVER: Consulate General of France in Tangier; Cinémathèque of Tangier; National Centre for Scientific and Technical Research; Moroccan Association for Environmental Sustainability