22 novembre 2014
After 7 months in the Mediterranean studying micro plastic pollution, Tara will return to Lorient, celebrating with a series of unprecedented meetings and events. Tara Expeditions and the Lorient region are organizing this weekend together, in the context of “European waste reduction week”. The public is cordially invited to participate in all events.
BEFORE TARA’S ARRIVAL, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21
- From 4.30 pm to 6:30 pm: meet Vincent Hilaire, correspondent aboard the Tara Arctic and Tara Oceans expeditions. He will be signing his book, “Journey around the Pole aboard Tara” at the FNAC in Lorient.
PROGRAM OF EVENTS, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 22
- From 10am to 12 in Guidel: “Initiative oceane” at Guidel beach, information on the problem of marine litter, and a beach cleaning operation in the presence of the Tara Mediterranean team, organized by West Surf Association, Guidel Kite Club, and Surfrider Foundation Europe.
After the beach-cleaning operation, mulled wine will be offered by the Lorient Region! Rendez-vous in the parking lot of the Guidel-Plage Nautical Centre.
To stay informed about this event and to participate, click here.
- From 10am to 12 at the Merville market in Lorient: Collecting vegetables for the preparation of a giant Disco soup. Help us educate growers to better distribute surplus food.
To be informed about this event and to participate, click here.
- At 10:30 am : signing session of ”Voyage around the pole aboard Tara” by the author, Vincent Hilaire, at the “Aux Vents des mots” bookshop, 7 rue du port in Lorient.
- at 3pm on the Marina esplanade (in the tent next to port authority): Opening event – Come see the installation made from plastic trash by the association “Idées Détournées” and also the exhibit “Our Ocean Planet” by Tara Expeditions.
Other events: A workshop with the Surfrider Foundation on water pollution; a presentation by “Chariots Malins”: learn how to reduce the amount of plastic packaging in your shopping cart; a cooking lesson using kitchen leftovers; workshops & clown acts for children by “Les Petits Débrouillards”; preparation of Giant Disco Soup and Great Apple Juice made with vegetables and fruits gathered by the public and various associations. Everybody will be peeling and cooking together to music! With the participation of “Coherence,” (a network for sustainable and cooperative development dedicated to the promotion of local growers and the famous Lorient cabbage), the Biocop and producers of the “Pays de Lorient.”
- Starting at 4pm, in the Lorient Marina: Arrival of Tara accompanied by music, with speeches by the main players of the Tara Mediterranean mission.
- Starting at 5pm: All visitors are invited to share the Giant Disco Soup and Great Apple Juice, hosted by DJ Manu.
PROGRAM OF EVENTS, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 23
- From 10:30 to 12:30 and from 2:30 to 5:30 pm: Public welcomed aboard Tara to visit the deck (Registration required, admission free in order of arrival).
- At 3:30: Conference, “The Ocean is not a Trash Can,” in the tent on the Marina esplanade with Maria-Luiza Pedrotti, scientist of the Tara Mediterranean Expedition and at the Villefranche-sur-mer Oceanographic Observatory.
More information will be available soon, but you can already register: Click here
You can also find all the activities offered by the Lorient Region, from November 22 to 29, as part of the European Week for Waste Reduction on www.lorient-agglo.fr.