21 JUNE 2018
Three months before negotiations of an international instrument for the conservation and sustainable use of high seas biodiversity begin at the United Nations in New York, The High Seas Alliance organizes with the Oceanographic Institute, Albert I Foundation, Prince of Monaco, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the Tara Foundation, the Institute on Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI), Nausicaá and with support from The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), The Nature Conservancy (TNC), The Pew Charitable Trusts an international conference about the stake of the high Seas.
The French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, The French Ministry of Ecological and Solidary Transition and the Office of the United Nations Secretary General Special Envoy for the Ocean will also participate at this event.
9 am : Doors open
Master of Ceremony: Valéry Laramée de Tannenberg, Editor, le Journal de l’Environnement
9 : 30 am -10 : 30 am : Opening Ceremony
- Welcome Address by His Serene Highness Prince Albert 2nd of Monaco (via video)
- Address by HE Peter Thomson, Special Envoy of the UN Secretary General
- Keynote speech by Serge Ségura, French Ambassador for Ocean Affairs
10 : 30 am -12 : 00 am : Round-Table 1: High Seas: Why we must act now?
- Professor Françoise Gaill, Scientific Director, Ocean & Climate Platform
- Dr. Rashid Sumaila, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Callum Roberts, University of York
- Moderator: Dr. Julien Rochette, Director, Ocean Programme, IDDRI
12 : 00 pm -12 : 30 pm : Screening of The Last Frontier, a film produced by IUCN and FFEM
12 : 30 pm -1 : 30 pm : Networking buffet lunch courtesy of The High Seas Alliance
1 : 30 pm -3 : 00 pm: Round-Table 2: What obstacles must be removed?
- Tidiani Couma, Secretary of External Relations, Department of External Relations and Cooperation, Government of Monaco
- Anca Leroy, Policy and Legal Adviser, Ministry of Ecological and Solidary Transition
- Teresa Ribera, CEO, IDDRI
- Andreas Papaconstantinou, Head of Unit, Ocean Governance, Law of the Sea, Arctic Policy, DG MARE, EU Commission
- Pierre Boussaroque, Deputy Director, Legal Directorate (DJ/Mer), Foreign Ministry
- Moderator: Romain Troublé, CEO, Tara Foundation
3 : 00 pm-4 : 30 pm : Table-Ronde 3 : Quelles attentes avant la négociation à New York ?
- Elie Jarmache, Adviser to the President of IFREMER
- HE Eden Charles, Former Ambassador of Trinidad & Tobago to the United Nations
- Dr. Kristina Gjerde, High Seas Policy Adviser, IUCN
- Christine Valentin, World Ocean Council
- Moderator: Rémi Parmentier, The Varda Group
4 : 30 pm -5 : 00 pm : Coffee/tea break
5 : 00 pm – 5 : 45 pm : Closing ceremony
- 21 june: 9:30 am-5:45 pm
- Simultaneous translation ENG/FR
- With bilingual IISD Independent Reporting Services/Earth Negotiations Bulletin
- Click here for Free Registration & Information
- To get to Maison des Océans: 195, rue Saint-Jacques – 75005 Paris
RER : Ligne B, station Luxembourg
- Lignes 38, 82, 84, 85, 89, station Luxembourg
- Lignes 21, 27, station Gay-Lussac/Saint-Jacques
Parking : Soufflot-Panthéon