Founded in 1881, the Oceanographic Observatory, known as the “Arago Laboratory” is an ideal place to study marine biology and oceanography in Languedoc-Roussillon. Located on a rocky coast and close to the Spanish border, the area contains an exceptional diversity of biotopes, fauna and flora in marine and terrestrial habitats.
The Oceanographic Observatory become a part of the consortium of leading research institutions at the beginning of 1967 as a laboratory of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and as an internal school of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) in 1985. Recognized for its national mission in the fields of scientific observation, the laboratory soon gained status within the Sciences of the Universe National Institute (INSU) and became the first oceanographic observatory created in Languedoc-Roussillon.
The mission of the Observatory include education, research, observation, conference & visiting research facilities, but also scientific mediation.